ASK FOR THESE GIFTS!
by Annie Evett, Creative Writing Institute Editor
Writers the world around want relevant gifts to encourage their hearts, make creative writing easier, prevent writer’s block, and increase their stash of writing tools. Sit on old Ho Ho’s knee and ask for these cool items:
1. A personally tutored writing course, at http://www.CreativeWritingInstitute.com.
2. The Chicago Manual of Style by University of Chicago, about $35 on Amazon.com, or The Elements of Style by William Strunk, Jr., $10 and up. These are excellent reference books that will answer all your questions about grammar and offer guidance in literary composition. A must have for any writer.
3. The Writer’s Market – Learn the latest from editors and those in the know! The best marketing tool ever. Easy to understand, easy to use, offers a variety of support tools, names the editors, and points you to the right market to sell your work. Ask for the online edition because they update it monthly whereas the book is updated yearly. Find it at www.writersmarket.com for $30-$40, depending on which one you choose. A must have!
4. The Writer Magazine< – highly recommended. Stay up to date on trends at http://www.writermag.com/en/sitecore/content/Home/The%20Magazine/Current%20Issue.aspx
5. A writing journal to record the events of your life.
6. Business cards – tell Santa what color you would like and what you want them to say – or make your own on good card stock! http://www.vistaprint.com
7. Personalized stationary for that “special” correspondence – or – make it yourself!
8. Great books on writing: Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg (for ideas and motivation); Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott (highly recommended); <On Writing by Stephen King (half autobiography and half lessons for writers); On Writing Well, The Classic Guide to Writing Nonfiction by William Zinsser (lots of non-fiction writing tips). Buy used books on Amazon.com.
9. A ream of paper to print your creations (specify exactly what weight you want)
10. Printer ink – Oh yeah!
11. A gift certificate
12. MONEY to enter writing con from a bookstore.tests!
Don’t forget to LIKE US and RATE US before you leave! Thank you.
Get more writing tips in Creative Writing Institute’s newsletter, The Writer’s Choice, at http://www.CreativeWritingInstitute.com, and watch for our Bonus Bargain Christmas $ale.
HO, HO, HO… MERRY CHRISTMAS!