Creative Writing Institute and the Mystery Lady
by Deborah Owen
Creative Writing Institute has an amazing story lurking behind the scenes. We seek the woman who inspired our creation. The woman whose name we don’t know. The woman we have never met and cannot find. The woman who doesn’t even know we exist. We call her… the Mystery Lady.
In the spring of 2008, I browsed the net and happened across an article. The woman’s beautiful smile reached out and grabbed me. I could not escape until I read that article. She told the story of her success as a businesswoman until the day she discovered she had cancer. As her body wasted away, friends and coworkers became uncomfortable in her presence and at length, only immediate family remained. Bald, sick, suicidal, and dying, she decided to do something she had always wanted to do – write.
At first, she wrote a couple of times a week. Then, as short stories painted new worlds into existence, she discovered it relieved her stress. She didn’t realize she had stumbled across a scientific method called writing therapy.
Combined with medical treatment, she not only experienced a full and miraculous recovery, but also returned to the hospital where she had been a patient and shared her story with other cancer patients. She encouraged them to write stories, picked them up and made comments on them, and returned them to the patients. The article concluded by saying that the Mystery Lady had one desire – to take a writing course.
A week later, I was still thinking about that lady. I decided to gift a course and privately tutor her, but to my dismay, I couldn’t find the article again. I now realize that by not finding her, I felt called to carry her torch. So I began to wonder:
1. Why couldn’t a writing school be a non-profit organization that could scholarship thousands?
2. We could educate and encourage sick children
3. We could train the unemployed
4. We could give senior citizens new purpose in life
5. Public tuition, grants, and donors could support the scholarship program
The possibilities were endless! So here we are. Creative Writing Institute still seeks the Mystery Lady. We want to tell her how far her courage has reached, but who is she? Where is she? We think she’s in Dallas or Austin, Texas. We must find her to tell her… one person CAN… and DID… make a difference. YOU can make a difference, too. Here’s how:
1. Any size gift will help, especially monthly support. Send your tax deductible donation to DeborahOwen@CWinst.com or mail to:
Creative Writing Institute
9702 E. Washington St.
Indianapolis, IN 46229
2. We have a volunteer team that gathers writing articles, posts social networking, helps with office duties, fundraising, research, develops the reference room, etc. Some jobs require no experience. Even if you aren’t a writer and you can devote only 10 minutes a day, we have jobs that you can do. Just write to me at DeborahOwen@CWinst.com.
3. Donate a product or expertise and write it off as a tax deduction.
4. Donate ad space on your site.
5. Carry our link.
6. Recommend this site to everyone you know.
7. Help us find the Mystery Lady!
9. Click on our blogs, “like” us, and make comments to help our ratings.
10. Sponsor a cancer patient for $260 (includes a private tutor).
So how about it? Wouldn’t you like to make a difference in life? You CAN by donating here. Will you? Thanks for dropping by!