This is the greatest opportunity for publication you will ever have.
Welcome to Creative Writing Institute’s annual short story contest. This is going to be our biggest and best contest yet. In a small fee-based contest like this, the competition is much less and your chances of winning are much greater. Our fee is the price of a Starbucks’s cup of coffee and it helps subsidize our nonprofit charity contest, so invest in us and at the same time invest in yourself.
Publication: we will publish the first, second and third place winners, two honorable mentions, and ten additional Judge’s Pick stories in our fifth annual anthology, along with best-selling guest authors and stories written by Creative Writing Institute’s staff. Enjoy the competition. Join the fun!
Judge’s Pick: you may be asking what a “Judge’s Pick” story is. That is a story that impressed a judge so much that he/she nominated it for publication, even though it was not a winning entry. A very high commendation for the author!
* $150 and Gold eMedal OR a free, privately tutored writing course valued at $260
* $100 and Silver eMedal OR $200 applied toward a privately tutored writing course
* $50 and Bronze eMedal OR $125 applied toward a privately tutored writing course
Fourth and Fifth place:
* Honorable Mention eMedal
In addition, we will publish ten Judge’s Pick stories.
For the First Time — the Lucky Draw!
We would like to express our gratitude to Microsoft and TechSoup for donating a Norton AntiVirus Package for five computers, valid for one year. *The Norton Package will only open in the USA, but that’s fine. You have 15 other opportunities to win!
eMedals: You will love the classy eMedals. Make them any size you want. Post them on your site and on social media!
Revealing our Cover: for the first time, we are revealing our cover for the next anthology, which will be titled LOST. (You can see the enlarged picture at http://www.CreativeWritingInstitute.com.)
The theme sentence is below the picture. Be sure to use it in your story.
“I am completely and utterly lost.”
- Open genre
- One prize per person
- Entry fee: $5 per submission
- Submit each story individually
- Word limit is 1,500 to 2,000 words.
- Story may not have been published before.
- No swearing, profanity, explicit sexual scenes, graphic violence, etc.
- Your story must include this theme sentence: “I am completely and utterly lost.”
- Winners agree to minor editing rights and will grant first, non-exclusive, electronic rights.
- All Rights return to the author upon publication.
- Accepting submissions until August 31, 2017, midnight, USA Eastern Standard Time.
- Apply the theme sentence to an emotional state, a physical location, fighting illness, or any other application that comes to mind.
- Copy and paste your document into https://CreativeWritingInstitute.submittable.com/submit.
Do NOT send your submission as an email attachment. We will not open it. Direct questions to head judge Jianna Higgins, at firstname.lastname@example.org.